7 Great Reasons to Ski June MountainPeople have been visiting June Lake, California to ski June Mountain for over 50 years and today, the reasons to choose June Mountain for your next ski vacation have never been more compelling. Kids under 12 ski for free, there are rarely lift lines and the slopes are never crowded, the authentic ski vibe and legendary landscape, as well as the fantastic snow conditions. The following are the greatest reasons to bring your family and friends to ski June Mountain.
1. Kids 12 and under ski for free!June Mountain is known as ‘California’s Family Mountain,’ which means that kids ages 12 and under always ski for free! No strings attached. All day, everyday. All children 12 and under ski and ride for FREE at June Mountain. The mountain boasts 1,500 acres of uncrowded slopes with plenty of beginner terrain, a family friendly atmosphere, and affordable ski lessons. Although children ski for free, they still need a free lift ticket to ride the lifts at June Mountain. Free tickets for kids can be acquired in person at the June Mountain ticket office near the parking lot. Free tickets are not available online.
2. Authentic Small Town Ski VibeThe experience at many of the bigger ski resorts across the country has become something similar to visiting a theme park. June Mountain Ski Area has remained an authentic example of small town America, where not much has changed over the last 50 years. June Mountain has retained this authentic vibe due to our fantastic locals and our remote location in the High Sierras. The feeling skiers and visitors get on the slopes of June Mountain is what skiing and snowboarding is all about, a true connection with nature and an unforgettable time with friends and family.
3. Bucky's Bonfire & Other EventsEvery Saturday of the winter season, June Mountain hosts a family-friendly party at the Chalet with a special guest, June Mountain’s mascot Bucky! Beginning at 2 PM each Saturday afternoon, Bucky and friends celebrate the winter season with a bonfire, free cookies and hot chocolate for kids, face painting, and music. Other family-friendly events include the opening and closing day parties, Christmas party, Bucky’s birthday party, and an annual Easter egg hunt.
4. Uncrowded Ski Lifts and Slopes
One of the most important aspects of enjoying the ski experience is having plenty of time and opportunity to actually ski or ride. If one thing defines your experience at June Mountain, it’s that you’ll have plenty of quality time on the slopes. At June Mountain, you’ll often feel as if you have the mountain all to yourself and your friends and family. On powder days, you’ll only stop skiing fresh lines because you are tired, not because the powder has been tracked out. During holidays, there may be a bit of a queue for Chair 1 to get to the Chalet, but once you make it up the mountain you’ll be able to ski freely with no lift lines in sight!
4. Legendary Landscape of the High Sierra NevadaRide Chair 1 up to the top of June Mountain and you discover a ruggedly beautiful and legendary landscape steeped in western history. The scenery is breathtaking, and you see it over many, many miles into the horizon. You’ll notice the town of June Lake nestled nearby between Gull Lake and June Lake, and you’ll see the vast desert lowlands around Mono Lake in the distance. At the top of June Mountain you take in beautiful views of Mammoth Mountain and the Sierra Crest. This is when you’ll find a better understanding why the High Sierra landscape is so legendary.
5. Fantastic Snow, Incredible SunshineJune Mountain Ski Area averages about 400 inches of snow each year. And the steady frequency of Pacific storms arriving at June Mountain brings frequent supplies of fresh snow that can last well into the early spring because of the high altitude (11,000+ feet) and North facing slopes. We should add here that the only thing more abundant than snow is sunshine, so be sure to have those dark lenses in your goggles ready for our famous sunny days.
6. The People and the Town of June Lake, CaliforniaThe roots of how June Mountain Ski Area has become what it is today are found in the town of June Lake itself. Actually, it’s the town and the people who live there year round. With a local population of about 800 made mostly of local folks who own local shops, breweries and vacation rentals, the people in June Lake love their hometown for all its year-round activities including skiing, hiking, fishing for trophy Brown trout and relaxing. The people of June Lake are very friendly and love all of the great reasons people choose to visit June Lake and ski at June Mountain.